There aren’t many breakfasts our family loves more than sausage, biscuits and gravy. That combo of salt, savory and greasy results in a substantial breakfast that is deeply satisfying. And there’s no reason to give it up just because you’ve cut back on meat or, like us, given it up all together.
I use Lightlife Gimme Lean Sausage because it’s sold in the local grocery store and it’s fairly easy to break up in the pan. Unfortunately, it’s bland and too lean and needs to be doctored up. Also, I “cheat” and use Pilsbury Grands frozen biscuits when they’re available.
1 package Pilsbury Grands frozen biscuits, or something similar
1 package plant-based breakfast sausage, such as Lightlife’s Gimme Lean
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (also called nooch, this stuff is amazing!)
1 tablespoon fresh sage chiffonade or 1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon thyme, fresh or dried
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk (almond or soy works fine, for vegans)
- Bake biscuits according to directions on package
- Cover bottom of large nonstick skillet with olive oil.
- Mix spices plus nutritional yeast in a small bowl and then stir the mixture into the skillet
- Add in sausage. Using a wooden spoon or spatula break it up until it’s more-or-less pea-sized.
- When the sausage is cooked through, sprinkle two tablespoons of flour on it.
- Add in half-cup of the milk and stir well. Keep doing this until all the milk is in the pan.
- While it simmers, stir it constantly until it’s at your desired thickness.
- Cut your biscuits in half, buttering them if you wish, and pour the gravy on top.